Paddy production projected to fall by 4.20 percent this year

Rice production is projected to decline by 4.20 percent this year compared to last year, according to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development. 

The Ministry stated that paddy production is likely to decrease by 250,350 metric tons this year.

According to the Ministry’s Information Officer, Mahananda Joshi, the estimated rice production this year stands at 5,705,126 metric tons, down from 5,955,476 metric tons last year, representing a decline of 4.20 percent.

Last year, paddy cultivation covered 1,420,636 hectares of land, which has decreased by 3.8 percent this year to 1,376,872 hectares.

Factors such as youth migration, a shift toward fruit farming and cash crops, movement of people to urban areas, land industrialization, and the construction of physical infrastructure have contributed to the reduction in paddy cultivation.

In addition, drought during the paddy planting season, particularly in Madhes Province, led to a decrease in the area. Joshi added that despite the availability of hybrid seeds and fertilizers, adverse weather conditions negatively affected the planting season.

 

Everton’s Thierno Barry puts dent in Aston Villa’s Premier League title hopes

Thierno Barry scored a second-half winner as Everton ended title-chasing Aston Villa’s 11-game home winning run with a 1-0 Premier League victory at a wet Villa Park on Jan 18, a result that will be celebrated in North London, Reuters reported. 

Villa stay in third place in the table on 43 points from 22 games, seven points behind leaders Arsenal, who now have a sizeable lead in the title race. Everton climb to 10th place on 32 points.

The visitors took the lead on 59 minutes when Pau Torres’s poor touch was collected by Dwight McNeil and when the latter's shot was parried by Emi Martinez in the home goal, Barry followed up to chip the ball into the net, according to Reuters. 

Iranian official says verified deaths in Iran protests reaches at least 5,000

An Iranian official in the region said on Sunday the authorities had verified at least 5,000 people had been killed in protests in Iran, including about 500 security personnel, blaming "terrorists and armed rioters" for killing "innocent Iranians".

The official, who declined to be named due to the sensitivity of the issue, also told Reuters some of the heaviest clashes and highest number of deaths were in the Iranian Kurdish areas in northwest Iran, a region where Kurdish separatists have been active and where flare-ups have been among the most violent in past periods of unrest, Reuters reported. 

"The final toll is not expected to increase sharply," the official said, adding that "Israel and armed groups abroad" had supported and equipped those taking to the streets.

PM Karki extends best wishes on Sonam Lhosar

Prime Minister Sushila Karki has extended best wishes on the occasion of Sonam Lhosar.

In a message issued today, the Prime Minister said, “I extend my heartfelt best wishes on the auspicious occasion of Sonam Lhosar–286, Ta Lho (Year of the Horse), the national cultural festival of indigenous communities, including the Tamang people of the mountain and hilly regions.”

Sonam Lhosar, which is primarily celebrated by the Tamang community as the beginning of the New Year, falls each year on Shukla Pratipada (the first day of the bright fortnight) of the month of Magha. The festival is marked by worship of ancestral deities and nature, remembrance of the Buddha's teachings, family gatherings, and the sharing of joy and goodwill among family members and relatives.

The Hyolmo, Thakali, Jirel, Nesyangwa, Bhote, Dura, and Lepcha communities also observe the festival with enthusiasm. 

Traditional dances, music, and indigenous cuisines showcased during the celebrations are regarded as important means of preserving cultural heritage. 

 

EC launches call center

The Election Commission launched a 'call center’ today with the aim of providing information to voters regarding their election related queries.

EC Spokesperson Narayan Prasad Bhattarai said that one can call at toll free number 1102 if they have any election related queries. 

There are six desks at the call center. The queries of voters would be resolved simultaneously from these desks, he added.  

The amenity received the first call from Gandaki Province where a person questioned whether the previously scheduled examination of Public Service Commission would be affected or not due to election code of conduct. 

The officers at the call center responded that the previously scheduled PSC examination would not be affected due to election code of conduct. 

The call center runs from 9 am to 6 pm every day, according to EC. 

The facility remains operative until distribution to the election winners. 

 

 

Former Minister Upreti passes away

Former Minister of State Govinda Nath Upreti passed away at the age of 82 on Monday. 

He died at his residence in Bhumlu Rural Municipality–8, Kavrepalanchowk this morning.

Upreti had long been suffering from respiratory-related complications. 

His spouse had passed away during the COVID-19 pandemic, and since then his nephew had been taking care of him. 

According to Ward Chair Motilal Tamang, Upreti, who was involved actively in the leftist movement for many years, was popularly known as the “Red Tiger” in the central-eastern region of Nepal. 

He breathed his last at 3:00 am.

Upreti had served as the Minister of State for Labour and is largely credited with development works in his area, particularly in the eastern Koshi region. 

His final rites are scheduled to be performed at Dolalghat this afternoon.

 

Gold price increases by Rs 4, 200 per tola on Monday

The price of gold has increased by Rs 4, 200 per tola in the domestic market on Monday.

According to the Federation of Nepal Gold and Silver Dealers’ Association, the precious yellow metal is being traded at Rs 282, 000 per tola today. It was traded at Rs 277, 800 per tola on Sunday.

Similarly, the silver being traded at Rs 5, 810 per tola today.

 

Minister Gupta resigns

Minister for Youth and Sports, Bablu Gupta, resigned from the post on Monday.

Minister Gupta tendered his resignation to contest the March 5 election to the House of Representatives.

After resigning, Minister Gupta shared, "I am now in Siraha to file my candidacy. I have sent my resignation to the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers through email."

"I had a telephone call with the Prime Minister and informed her about my resignation," he added.

He was appointed as the Sports Minister of the government formed after the Gen Z movement.

The Gen Z movement had taken place on September 8 and 9, 2025.