Prosecutors seek death penalty for ex-South Korean president Yoon

Prosecutors have asked for South Korea's former president Yoon Suk Yeol to be handed a death sentence if he is found guilty over his botched attempt to impose martial law, BBC reported. 

A court in Seoul heard closing arguments in Yoon's trial, in which he was accused of being the "ringleader of an insurrection". 

The charge stems from Yoon's attempt in December 2024 to impose military rule in South Korea - an act that lasted just hours but plunged the country into political turmoil. He was later impeached by parliament and detained to face trial, according to BBC. 

More than 2,000 people reported killed at Iran protests as Trump says 'help is on its way'

More than 2,000 people have been killed during the violent crackdown by security forces on protests in Iran, a human rights group has said, as President Trump promised Iranians that help was "on its way", BBC reported. 

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) reported that it had so far confirmed the killing of 1,850 protesters, 135 people affiliated with the government and nine uninvolved civilians as well as nine children over the last 17 days despite an internet blackout.

An Iranian official also told Reuters that 2,000 people had been killed but that "terrorists" were to blame, according to BBC. 

Gen Z protests in Nepal were a planned conspiracy, says Oli

Former Prime Minister and CPN-UML Chairman KP Sharma Oli has said that the Gen Z protests that led to the ouster of Nepal’s government in September 2025 were unusual and organized in a planned way. 

In an interview with RT, a Russian Media Outlet,  the former PM said Sri Lanka and Bangladesh had warned that the protests that happened in these countries could happen in Nepal as well.

“That was not a simple and usual thing. That was unusual, and it couldn’t have taken place all of a sudden. It was organized in a planned way, it seems even at that time and later on,” Oli said in an exclusive interview on Monday.

“Bangladesh and Sri Lanka were telling us… Leaders were talking that such things would happen, and things happened. It was an attack on our democracy to send back them to poverty,” Oli said.

NC Special General Convention: Election to take place as per existing statute

The Special General Convention of the Nepali Congress (NC), which kicked off at Bhrikutimandap on Sunday, has decided to conduct elections in accordance with the party’s existing Statute.

An election committee formed by the Convention shared this information at a press meet today. 

As per the party’s Statute, one president, two vice-presidents, two general secretaries, eight joint general secretaries, and 121 members will be elected, said Election Committee Coordinator and senior advocate Sitaram KC.

According to the work procedure drafted and endorsed by the Special General Convention, KC is coordinating a five-member election committee.

The event is being attended by factions within the NC that support the Special General Convention organised by the Party Publicity Committee.

The 14th General Convention had a total of 4,743 voters. The number has now been reduced to 4,635 after excluding those who have passed away and those who have joined other political parties.

As per the election schedule, the voter list was published at 12:30pm, and claims, objections, and verification of the voter list were scheduled until 1:30 pm. 

Likewise, the final list was published at 2pm, candidate nomination registration was carried out from 2pm to 3pm, and the publication of the list of candidates is set for 4:30 pm.

Similarly, the notice mentions that the objection to candidacy will be from 4:30 pm to 5:00 pm, the investigation of objections to candidacy will be from 5 pm and to 5:30 pm, the withdrawal of candidacy from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, and the final publication of the list of candidates has been scheduled for 8:45 pm.

 

Canadian prime minister visits China after nearly a decade of tense relations

Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney departs for China on Tuesday, where he will discuss trade and international security at a time when Canada faces uncertain relations with the US due to a trade war and annexation threats from President Donald Trump, Reuters reported. 

It is the first visit to Beijing by a Canadian prime minister since 2017 and could mark a critical shift in ties between the two countries as Canada seeks new trade and security partnerships.

Carney agreed to visit China last October when he and Chinese President Xi Jinping met in South Korea. It was an encounter that offered no breakthroughs but suggested potential for deeper ties after a fractious relationship under former Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, which had soured after Canada arrested the chief financial officer of Chinese firm Huawei in 2018, according to Reuters. 

 

 

 

Nepse surges by 4. 90 points on Tuesday

The Nepal Stock Exchange (NEPSE) gained 4. 90 points to close at 2, 639. 91 points on Tuesday. 

Similarly, the sensitive index surged by 0. 54 points to close at 454. 86 points.

A total of 13,624,824-unit shares of 349 companies were traded for Rs 1. 50 billion.

Meanwhile, Three Star Hydropower Limited (TSHL) was the top gainer today, with its price surging by 10. 00 percent. 

Likewise, Rasuwagadhi Hydropower Company Limited (RHPL) was the top loser as its price fell by 6. 09 percent.

At the end of the day, total market capitalization stood at Rs 4. 43 trillion.

Vapes worth Rs 22.4 million confiscated

E-cigarettes (vapes) worth Rs 22.4 million have been seized at the Korala border on Monday evening. 

The Nepal Police, Armed Police Force, and Mustang Customs Office seized 16,000 units of vape from a container bearing the registration number plate Na 6 Kha 7591. 

According to Santosh Basyal, the information officer of the District Police Office, the container driver, Pema Lama from Sunsari Rural Municipality-5, Sindhupalchok, has been taken into custody while the vehicle has been impounded. 

Vapes worth Rs 68.1 million had been seized from Korala border transit last year also.

 

NC CWC meet to take place at 1 pm today

A meeting of the Nepali Congress (NC) Central Working Committee (CWC), scheduled for 11 am, has been postponed to 1 pm today.

The meeting to be held at the party’s central office in Sanepa, Lalitpur, will discuss the latest developments within the party.

Central Office Chief Secretary Krishna Prasad Paudel said that office-bearers and members of the Central Working Committee, along with presidents from all seven provinces, have been invited to attend the meeting.