Five arrested over plot to attack German Christmas market

Five men have been arrested in Germany suspected of being involved in a plot to drive a vehicle into people at a Christmas market, BBC reported. 

Three Moroccans, an Egyptian and a Syrian were detained on Friday over the plan to target a market in the southern Bavarian state. Authorities said they suspected an "Islamist motive".

Prosecutors said the Egyptian - a 56-year-old - was alleged to have "called for a vehicle attack... with the aim of killing or injuring as many people as possible". The Moroccans allegedly agreed to carry out the attack, according to BBC. 

Pro-democracy Hong Kong tycoon Jimmy Lai found guilty of colluding with foreign forces

Hong Kong pro-democracy campaigner and media tycoon Jimmy Lai has been found guilty of colluding with foreign forces under the the city's controversial national security law (NSL), Reuters reported. 

The 78-year-old, who has been in jail since December 2020, pleaded not guilty. He faces life in prison and is expected to be sentenced early next year. 

Lai used his now-defunct Apple Daily newspaper as part of a wider effort to lobby foreign governments to impose sanctions on Hong Kong and China, the court found, according to Reuters. 

School bus accident in Colombia kills 17, injures 20

Seventeen people were killed and 20 were injured after a bus carrying school children fell off a cliff in a rural area in northern Colombia, the local governor said on Sunday night, Reuters reported. 

In a post on X earlier in the day, the governor of Antioquia, Andres Julian, said the bus was traveling from the Caribbean town of Tolu to Medellin after a school trip and was carrying students from the Antioqueno High School.

The students had been celebrating their graduation on the beach, he added on Sunday night, according to Reuters. 

Father and son behind Bondi Hanukkah festival shooting that killed 15, Australian police say

Two alleged gunmen who killed 15 people at a Jewish celebration at Sydney's Bondi Beach were a father and son, police said on Monday, as Australia began mourning victims of its worst gun violence in almost 30 years, Reuters reported. 

The father, a 50-year-old, was killed at the scene, taking the number of dead to 16, while his 24-year-old son was in a critical condition in hospital, police said at a press conference on Monday. Officials have described Sunday's shooting as a targeted antisemitic attack.

Forty people remain in hospital following the attack, including two police officers who are in a serious but stable condition, police said. The victims were aged between 10 and 87, according to Reuters.