Brazil's Lula warns US intervention in Venezuela could be catastrophic
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said on Saturday that an "armed intervention in Venezuela would be a humanitarian catastrophe" in the face of escalating actions from the United States toward regional neighbor Venezuela, Reuters reported.
On Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a "blockade" of all sanctioned oil tankers entering and leaving Venezuela, in Washington's latest move to increase pressure on Nicolas Maduro's government, targeting its main source of income.
Lula and Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum, the leaders of Latin America's two largest economies, had already urged restraint this week, as tensions escalated, according to Reuters.
US intercepts oil tanker off Venezuelan coast, officials say
The United States has intercepted an oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela in international waters, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem confirmed Saturday, a move that comes just days after U.S. President Donald Trump announced a "blockade" of all sanctioned oil tankers entering and leaving Venezuela, Reuters reported.
It’s the second time in recent weeks that the United States has gone after a tanker near Venezuela amid a large U.S. military build-up in the region.
Noem confirmed the Coast Guard intercepted a tanker that was last docked in Venezuela, according to Reuters.
China launches satellites for Nepal in fresh commercial space mission
China on Wednesday launched the Kinetica-1, also known as the Lijian-1 Y11 carrier rocket with nine satellites onboard, including three international payloads for the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt and Nepal. After delivering the nine satellites to their preset orbits, the launch mission was declared a complete success, The Global Times reports.
According to the rocket developer CAS Space, most of the satellites, owned by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) will support applications including urban planning, disaster prevention and mitigation, water resources, and meteorology, according to the report.
Trump suspends US green card lottery in wake of Brown University and MIT shootings
The homeland security secretary, Kristi Noem, has ordered the suspension of the green card lottery program at Donald Trump’s direction, saying it allowed the suspect in the Brown University and MIT shootings to come to the US, The Guardian reported.
Suspect Claudio Neves Valente, a Portuguese national, initially entered the US on a student visa in 2000 and later became a permanent resident in 2017, according to Oscar Perez, the police chief in Providence, Rhode Island. Valente was found dead on Thursday evening from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
“This heinous individual should never have been allowed in our country,” Noem said on X, according to The Guardian.



