US pursues third oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela
The United States is pursuing another oil tanker in international waters near Venezuela, a US official told Al Jazeera, as Washington intensifies a pressure campaign against the government Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, Aljazeera reported.
The operation on Sunday comes a day after the US Coast Guard seized its second vessel off the coast of Venezuela in two weeks, as part of a “blockade” ordered by US President Donald Trump.
The US official told Al Jazeera that the US coastguard “remains in active pursuit” of the vessel, which they described as being part of Venezuela’s dark fleet trying to evade Washington’s sanctions on the Latin American country’s vital oil sector, according to Aljazeera .
Russian forces take Ukrainian villagers across border, media says
Russian forces have crossed the border with Ukraine in the northeastern Sumy region and taken about 50 residents of a Ukrainian border village into Russia, Ukrainian media quoted the military as saying on Sunday, Reuters reported.
Ukraine's public broadcaster Suspilne and the Ukrainska Pravda news outlet said Russian forces entered Ukrainian territory on Saturday night in the area of the village of Hrabovske.
Most of the local residents captured from the village were elderly people, the media said, according to Reuters.
Elon Musk becomes first person worth $700b following pay package ruling
Tesla CEO Elon Musk's net worth surged to $749 billion late Friday after the Delaware Supreme Court reinstated Tesla stock options worth $139 billion that were voided last year, according to Forbes' billionaires index, Reuters reported.
Musk's 2018 pay package, once worth $56 billion, was restored by the Delaware Supreme Court on Friday, two years after a lower court struck down the compensation deal as "unfathomable."
The Supreme Court said that a 2024 ruling that rescinded the pay package had been improper and inequitable to Musk, according to Reuters.
Gunmen kill nine in South Africa tavern attack
South African police say a manhunt is under way after a shooting at a tavern left nine people dead and another 10 injured in a township near Johannesburg, BBC reported.
They say about 12 unidentified gunmen arrived in two cars in Bekkersdal, "opened fire at tavern patrons and continued to shoot randomly as they fled the scene".
The shooting happened at about 01:00 local time on Sunday (23:00 GMT Saturday). The police added that the tavern was licensed, according to BBC.


