President Donald Trump has said he is moving forward with 25% tariffs on goods imported from Canada and Mexico into the US, adding that time had run out to reach a deal, BBC reported.
US stock markets sank in response to the measures, which he has threatened since earlier this year and said would now go into effect on Tuesday.
An additional 10% tariff on Chinese imports is also expected to come into force, leaving all of America's top three trade partners facing significantly higher barriers than just a few weeks ago.
"No room left for Mexico or for Canada," Trump said at the White House on Monday. "The tariffs, you know, they're all set. They go into effect tomorrow."